Purple Haze

My godfather had given me some pieces of exotic wood that he had laying around in his basement. One of those blocks was a fairly nice piece of some brown wood, 2" thick but not long enough for used in a neck. However, just about the right size for a 1-piece body. The wood was hard and heavy, and once cut the fresh wood had a very distinctive purple hue to it. After some research on the net I came to the conclusion that it had to be Purple Heart (Lat.Peltogyne spp., thanks to The Wood Database)

The fingerboard turned out to be rosewood, while the neck was glued together into a 7-piece ash-merbau-cherry. Wonder why I ended up using this combination of woods? Don't ask. I have no idea what-so-ever.

Time to lay down some specs;

Scale Length: 810mm (32")
Strings: D'Addario EXL165-5 (045-135)
# of strings: 5
Tuners: Gotoh Style (Gold)
Bridge: Gotoh Style (Gold)
Frets: 25, Dunlop 6130

Construction: Bolt-on
Neck wood: 7-piece Ash/Merbau/Cherry
Body wood: Purple Heart (1-piece!)
Fretboard wood: Rosewood (Indian)
Pickups: EMG 40HZ
Preamp: Artec SE3

The only thing I did differently on this build was basically the fretwork. I finally had bought myself some fret crowning files and fret leveling file. For the final polish of the frets I used a trick I learned from watching some videos made by Master luthier Ben Crowe of Crimson Guitars.

Instead of using standard polishing compounds to polish the frets, he tried using something called chrome polishing paste. Basically it's a polishing compound made for chromed car parts, but Ben came to the conclusion that its more effective, faster and gives a better result. I agree.
Using a battery driven sander like the cordless Bosch Prio using a felt polishing pad and a piece of a old T-shirt, you don't even need to apply some "elbow grease" to get the work done. Very fast and convinient.

I didn't want to use screwes to hold the control cavity in place, so I tried to use a "cabinet-lock" magnet. A bit tricky to get the magnet installed inside the control cavity to exactly the right depth, but I eventually figured out how to get it there. The cover doesn't need to be opened that often anyway, since I made a separate recessed battery compartment for the battery.